Saturday, April 4, 2009

Nymphal Shucks: the beginner's corner introduction

The problem with a blog, or writing anything for that matter, is that it can be incredibly difficult to explain a visual and physical process. Nothing seems harder to explain that fly casting. It really is something you have to see and feel to understand. So, to get you off to a good start, I've got some references for you to check out:

"Scientific Anglers Basic Fly Casting with Doug Swisher" http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat601973&id=0044057621889a&navCount=1&podId=0044057621889&parentId=cat601973&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true
Now, this video is a bit dated - it was what I used twenty years ago to learn how to fly cast. However, Swisher just seemed to make sense, and his video and exercises were incredibly effective.

As for learning the basics, the book I learned from is no longer in print...and doesn't that make me feel old. Still, a good book is a great reference to have so I'll suggest one:

"The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide by Tom Rosenbauer" http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=65C0&dir_id=758&group_id=8791&cat_id=14974&subcat_id=14975

I've thumbed through it at the store and it looked great. Now, I do plan to cover a great deal of information in small bites here. We'll start with theory, and then on to the rod outfit, leaders and tippets, flies, fly boxes, tools and gadgets, waders and vests, and anything else I can think of. I will try to provide pictures and links to help illustrate, but if you have any questions you can email me directly and I'll try my best to explain any point in greater detail.

So, that's where I'm going with this blog for now and I hope it helps all of you looking to start fly fishing or seek to improve your skills and knowledge base. More to come :)

Muddler

No comments:

Post a Comment